Design for Independence Ltd
Design for Independence Ltd. is a leading housing occupational therapy company covering the UK and abroad. We work with children and adults who have suffered catastrophic injuries along with cognitive, sensory and physical impairments.
We specialise in:
- Property search – led by an occupational therapist supported by an in-house estate agent with 15 years' experience. We search for rental and purchase properties which require the most cost-effective adaptation to meet the care and rehabilitation goals and provide a home for our client and their family. Our in-house estate agent acts on behalf of the client when liaising with landlords and estate agents responsible for the identified property to ensure the best outcome for the client.
- Designing and adapting living spaces – our occupational therapists are experienced in specifying and designing internal alterations to meet the bespoke and unique needs of a specific client. We involve an architect when a planning application is required. We work with structural engineers to ensure our designs are feasible and quantity surveyors to safeguard the client's funds.
- Audit architectural plans – we are able to audit floor plans created by architects to ensure the adaption is cost effective and meets the client's complex needs.
- Project management and adaption – our office team can support the adaption project by obtaining and comparing quotes from suppliers and construction companies, scheduling work, arranging deliveries, installations of specialised equipment, removals and cleaning companies. They support the client throughout the building project by liaising with all parties to ensure a collaborative approach and successful outcome for the client.
- Manual handling risk assessment and training courses – for carers and family members in the client's home with their equipment, certificates are issued to all participants. ROSAP accredited at Level 4 People Handling and Risk Assessment.
- Brain Injury
- Complex Adaptations
- Complex Disbility
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Young People